This turkey meatloaf gluten free recipe uses fresh cranberry so don’t wait too long to try it – cranberries are only in season for a little while longer! If you miss the cranberries, substitute unsweetened tart cherries, available all year long.
Fresh cranberry is an amazingly healthy berry that we never tire of because it is a single harvest fruit with a very short season. Since cranberries are so dang tart, however, it can be challenging to find ways to eat them where you don’t have to add sugar! Pair fresh cranberries with ground meats for a scrumptious tang with no sugar required! Fresh cranberries are still in the markets through the end of the year… treat your pallet to their tart goodness and change up a quick weeknight dinner by adding cranberries to a simple turkey meatloaf, yum, yum!
Fresh cilantro or parsley (both work well!) is essential to balance the flavor and the remaining ingredients are super fast to prep – get holiday tasks completed while your turkey meatloaf bakes!
Fresh Cranberry Turkey Meatloaf Gluten Free Recipe
- Put fresh cranberries in water to soak first, so they’re ready to mix in when the other ingredients are prepped.
- Van’s brand original gluten-free waffles make terrific breadcrumbs and they are non-GMO verified.
- If you’re not avoiding gluten you can substitute ¼ cup of breadcrumbs for the waffle…but the waffle works well and is delicious!
- When fresh cranberry season is over, substitute ¼ cup dried tart cherries for the fresh cranberries. Soak tart cherries in water for 10 minutes but no chopping is required.
1 lb. turkey (dark meat is preferable)
1 gluten-free waffle, toasted well and chopped
2 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
3 tbsp. tomato paste
½ tsp. sea salt
½ tsp. cumin
½ medium onion, chopped (½ cup)
½ cup fresh cranberries, soaked in water whole and then chopped
Oil for greasing baking sheet (coconut oil works well)
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Soak cranberries in water (just enough water to cover the berries). Prep other ingredients and mix together in mixing bowl.
- Chop pre-soaked cranberries in mini chopper or by hand and add to other ingredients.
- Form into a loaf shape and place on lightly oiled baking sheet or jelly roll pan.
- Bake for 55 – 60 minutes until cooked through.
Makes 4 Servings